FONDAZIONE CINETECA ITALIANA
MILAN 11:27 (UTC+1)
FONDAZIONE CINETECA ITALIANA

FONDAZIONE CINETECA ITALIANA

Information

20162 MILAN, ITALY

Activity

Theatrical Exhibition

Description

The Cineteca Italiana was officially founded in Milan in 1947. Its first nucleus was a small stock of cinema masterpieces rescued from destruction in the Thirties and adventurously preserved until after World War 2 by a group of young cinéphiles and intellectuals among whom there were the future directors Luigi Comencini and Alberto Lattuada. The Fondazione Cineteca Italiana presently owns a stock of over 27,000 films from all over the world, from the origins until nowadays. A large section (roughly 60%) consists of nitrate cellulose films of such historical relevance that they were defined by an expert committee set up by FIAF as “one of the largest stock of European silent films”. The non-film collections consist of around 100,000 photos, 50,000 posters of the silent and sound cinema among which some thousands posters of milanese movie theaters dating back to the beginning of the 20th century; a collection of books (around 7,000) and magazines (yet to be catalogued, among which ther