COSMO'S QUEST

By Paul HENRY

BIG TIME PICTURES - as PROD

Documentary - Development 2011

Two continents, one man... One epic Quest

    • Year of production
    • 2011
    • Genres
    • Documentary
    • Countries
    • UNITED KINGDOM
    • Languages
    • ENGLISH
    • Budget
    • 0.6 - 1 M$
    • Duration
    • 30 mn
    • Director(s)
    • Paul HENRY
    • Writer(s)
    • Paul HENRY
    • Producer(s)
    • Paul HENRY, Tony ALLEN (Big Time Pictures), Trevor ROGERS (StingRay Productions)
    • Synopsis
    • The British Isles and Canada - separated by the mighty Atlantic. An ocean crossed by generations of intrepid souls from England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland all looking for a new life or in search of adventure. They've taken with them their culture, their crafts, their folklore and their traditions. Now, actor James Cosmo; star of Troy, Braveheart, Tales of Narnia and Trainspotting follows in their footsteps.
      He will discover many surprising connections on his journey but for James, one thing above all others unites beautiful Britain and Canada's spectacular eastern seaboard - fishing the Atlantic Salmon.
      James is an avid and highly experienced fly-fisher and his quest - to hook a salmon on every river visited - takes him to some of the most magnificent salmon fishing country anywhere in the world. In Ireland, Wales and Scotland we visit the rivers Lagan, Blackwater, Spey, Tay, Usk and the Wye - before crossing the Atlantic and exploring the Miramichi in New Brunswick, the Margaree and the mighty Humber in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland respectively.
      In each of the six 30 minute films, James meets with local fly fishing experts including Alastair Gowans, inventor of the world-famous Ally's Shrimp and Joan Wulff the renowned 'first-lady of fly-fishing'. They demonstrate local tactics and techniques and help James on his quest to outwit the salmon in each river. But these are people who not only know about the river and the fishing, but are also passionate about the countryside, the local culture, indigenous crafts and lore. Together they explore these great rivers, seeking out local characters and curiosities in the surrounding countryside: a charcoal burner, a greenheart rod maker, a thatcher and a fish smoker amongst others.
      This unique cross-cultural exchange highlights the shared heritage between Britain and Canada with for example; a visit to a single malt distillery - in Nova Scotia! We see both the Northern Ireland shipyard that built the Titanic and the Titanic memorial and museum in Halifax, Nova Scotia. On an excursion to Cape Breton we find the locals and music are even more Gaelic than those in Scotland or Ireland! And, of course, we catch some salmon along the way.
      Encompassing travel, sport, nature, history and culture, Cosmo's Quest is a series of stunningly visual and content rich HD films that will thrill, entertain and inform broad-based international audiences.
    • Partners & financing
    • UK/Canada co-production with Square Deal Square Deal Productions Atlantic inc.
      40% financed. Remaining 60% sought.
    • Beginning of shooting
    • Aug 01, 2011
Distribution Country
Release date
Distributor
Rights
Local title
Company Country Roles